Saturday, October 5, 2013

Limited Edition Maybelline Color Tattoo - Matte Shades

I was browsing Instagram the other day and saw someone had posted pictures of the new Maybelline Color Tattoos in matte colors. This was the first time I had heard mention of them. I immediately went out and googled them and found that they are part of the new limited edition Gilded in Gold holiday collection. From everything I read it looked like they were only available at Bed Bath & Beyond locations.  I have a few BB&B locations near me so I got in my car and went on a field trip.  Well, three BB&B trips later I was still empty handed. Every store had the small display out but the actual Color Tattoos were sold out.  I guess that's not surprising considering each display only had two of each color - probably not Maybelline's best idea ever.  Then the heavens opened up to me and I stumbled across a hidden gem. There is a store close to me called Harmon Face Value.  Harmon's is a pretty big health and beauty store and until the other day I had no idea they even existed.  Anyway, to make a long story short I went in and they had the FULL display.  Needless to say I bought all three of the Color Tattoos as well as some other limited edition items which I will be blogging about shortly.  If you want to get your hands on the Gilded in Gold run, don't walk, to your nearest drugstore as these beauties are bound to sell out quickly.

The Color Tattoos come in three matte colors: Matte Brown, Nude Pink and Just Beige.  Nude Pink has been called a dupe for MAC's Painterly Paint Pot.  Just Beige has also been compared to MAC's Soft Ochre Paint Pot.  The Maybelline Color Tattoos are $4.99 for 4 grams of product and the MAC Paint Pots are $20 for 5 grams of product.  Both products can be worn alone in lieu of eyeshadow but are more commonly used as an eyeshadow base.  I am particularly fond of Painterly by MAC and wear it under almost every eyeshadow look.

Just Beige is a light, opaque beige color. When blended out it becomes more of a yellow toned flesh color.  When compared to MAC's Soft Ochre Paint Pot it is almost an exact dupe.  Soft Ochre is the slightest bit more yellow than Just Beige but not much.  I also find the MAC Paint Pots to be creamier in texture than than the Paint Pot but for the price difference Just Beige is an excellent alternative to Soft Ochre.  

Nude Pink is an opaque, rosy pink color. I find Nude Pink to be a bit darker than the Painterly Paint Pot (my fav) and I don't think I would like it very much as an eyeshadow base.  If you have a darker skin tone this may work well as a base but on my lids it looked more like a wash of pink which would not work well under my favorite nude eyeshadow combo.



Claims: "Longest-lasting shadow"
Finish/Texture:  The Maybelline Color Tattoos have a creamy texture.  These particular products are creamy and have a matte finish. 
Scent:  None
Long Wearing:  Extremely long wearing, they also help to prolong the length of eyeshadow when used as a base
Packaging:  Like their more expensive counterparts the Color Tattoos come in small glass jars with a plastic lid.  The lid screws on to help prevent the product from drying out.
Price:  $4.99
Availability:  Extremely limited; found at my local Harmon Face Value and also seen at BB&B
Limited Edition:  Yes

Pros:
  • Inexpensive
  • Creamy texture
  • Long lasting
Cons:
  • Difficult to find
Overall: While the Maybelline Color Tattoos are not exact dupes for the MAC Paint Pots they surely come close.  They are great products that I hope Maybelline will consider making part of their permanent collection.  I highly recommend these if you are looking for a less expensive alternative to the much loved MAC products. 




No comments:

Post a Comment