Sunday, October 6, 2013

Review: CoverGirl Outlast Stay Fabulous 3-in-1 Foundation

This review is actually a little dated since I discovered/fell in love with this product at the beginning of the summer.  I wasn't going to write a review now but felt like I would be remiss if I didn't talk about this truly awesome foundation.


I have always been a high-end foundation kind of girl. When this came out and started getting rave reviews I was curious but reluctant to try it. I have extremely sensitive skin and always believed that drugstore foundations were lesser quality and would break me out.  I had never really found a holy grail foundation.  I tried a few different MAC, Bobbi Brown, Makeup Forever and Clinique foundations but none of them wowed me. In addition to having sensitive skin I have pretty oily skin.  I need a long-wearing foundation that can stand up to my oily temperamental skin and won't slip and slide all over my face throughout the day. On a whim one day while I was at Target I decided to pick up a bottle of this foundation and see what all the hype was about.  At the time I was the shade Soft Honey and have since gotten my summer tan and switched to Golden Tan.



The CG 3-in-1 foundation claims to be a primer, foundation and concealer all in one that provides long-lasting coverage.  It is currently available in 14 different shades and can be found at any drugstore, Walmart or Target. I have seen the price range from $9.49 (Target) to $12.99 (Walgreen's). 

While it is supposed to have a built in primer I still like to use a separate primer.  When I first started using this foundation I tried applying it with a couple different brushes and tools to try to see which I liked best.  The first thing I tried was my Sigma F82 round top kabuki brush.  Using two pumps of the foundation, I dotted it all over my face then blended it out. I really liked the way it applied with the brush.  It gave a very airbrushed finish.  I was still curious to see how my Beauty Blender would perform - using the same method of dotting the foundation all over my face I then used my Beauty Blender to "pounce" the foundation into my skin.  Ladies and gentlemen, we had a winner.  It's like this foundation and the Beauty Blender are a match made in heaven.  The Beauty Blender applied and blended the foundation while covering imperfections but somehow managed to let my skin show through.  I would say that this a medium to full coverage foundation without feeling too heavy or cakey. While it covers almost all of my skin's imperfections I still find myself using a separate concealer for some of the blemishes that it doesn't cover.  I have a few dark marks on my skin from hyperpigmentation that need a little extra TLC from the help of a concealer but for the most part the foundation alone covers a majority of my dark spots/acne scars.

If I set this foundation with a mattifying powder I can get a good 8-hours of wear without having to touch-up my makeup.  I will use an oil blotting sheet throughout the day which helps prolong the wear. The real test was this past summer.  We had a scorching hot summer with some days getting up into the high 90's.  This foundation stood up to even the hottest of days without melting off of my face.  What I like most about this product is that I don't have to work too quickly with it.  When I was using my MAC Pro Longwear foundation I could only do one small section at a time because the foundation would set so quickly.  I always felt like I was in a fire drill racing to get it blended. This goes on and gives you time to blend it out and then sets.

Aside from being long-wearing another important thing I look for in makeup is compatibility with my sensitive skin.  This foundation did not break me out or clog my pores.  I am careful to remove my makeup every night before I go to bed.  I will say that I find myself having to wash my face twice to get all traces of this makeup off but that's not the worst thing in the world. 

This is the only foundation I have used for the past 6-months and I don't see an end in site.  I have since repurchased it and continue to love it.  I am going to take a break after the bottle I am currently using is finished.  I want to try a few more foundations (i.e.  the NARS Sheer Glow and YSL Youth Liberator Serum foundations) but I am sure I will come back to my old friend.

Claims: "All-in-one foundation with a long-lasting formula that fuses primer, concealer, and foundation in one easy step! The 3-in-1 formula provides a flawless look that lasts all day long"
Coverage: Medium to full with a semi-matte finish
Scent: None
Long Wearing: Yes, an average 8-hours of wear
Packaging: Glass bottle with a convenient pump
Price: $12.99 (average) for 1 oz of product - I usually buy mine at Walgreen's when CoverGirl is BOGO 50% and I can also buy my favorite CG Clump Crusher mascara.
Availability: any major retail chain, drugstore or health and beauty store that carries CG

Pros:
  • Good coverage
  • Long wearing
  • Easy to find
  • Variety of shades 
Cons:
  • I find that while I like the convenience of the pump, it does not get all of the foundation at the bottom of the bottle
Overall: This has quickly become my holy grail foundation and has forever changed my view on drugstore foundation. It is a solid product that outperforms many of its high-end counterparts.

No comments:

Post a Comment