Sunday, February 24, 2013

Battle of the BB Creams





I have recently gotten caught up in the whole BB cream craze. If you aren't familiar with what a BB cream it is a BB cream is a beauty balm. It is popular among Asian women and has become popular in the US. BB creams claim to prime, moisturize, protect and perfect the skin.
I tried three different BB creams - a high end, middle of the road and drugstore brand. The high end is the Dior Hydra Life BB Creme, middle of the road is Urban Decay's Naked Skin Beauty Balm and then the drugstore is L'Oreal's Magic Skin Beautifier BB Cream.

My favorite of the three is hands down the Dior BB Creme. The product feels great on my skin and provides really good coverage. It provides as much coverage as a foundation and blends really well with my skin tone. I have read that some people have trouble with this one because it does have a yellow undertone but that isn't an issue for me. The biggest drawback about this product is the price. I bought mine at Sephora and paid $56 for 1.7 ounces. Needless to say I don't use it on a daily basis which I think defeats the purpose. If I only use it sporadically then I am probably not reaping all of the benefits it claims to provide.

The next one I tried is the Urban Decay Naked Skin Beauty Balm. I really like this one as well but find that it doesn't provide quite as much coverage (or "perfecting") as the Dior BB Creme. I use my Urban Decay Optical Blurring Brush when applying it and blends beautifully. Like the Dior BB Creme the UD version is tinted but again that isn't an issue. It blends into my skin tone well. While not nearly as expensive as Dior the Urban Beauty Balm is still a big pricey at $30 for 1.18 ounces.

Of the three, my least favorite was the L'Oreal Skin Beautifier BB Cream. It feels and covers a lot like a tinted moisturizer. The product itself comes out white but starts to develop it's color as it is blended into the skin. I have found myself using this as a base under my foundation lately. In that respect I do like it but on it's own as BB cream I am not crazy about it. I don't think it's likely that I will purchase this product again.

1 comment: